LGV and HGV License class C application

D2 form provisional entitlement for HGV
DVLA forms

Many people get confused between the HGV and LGV license class. This is common among new drivers who are planning to start their careers in this industry. Is there a difference?

 A heavy goods vehicle (HGV) and large goods vehicle (LGV) are the same thing under the UK and European law, referring to commercial trucks that weigh more than 3,500 kilograms. These vehicles include fridge truck, box vans, flatbeds, tippers, drop sides, Lutons, and more. HGV and LGV have not licensed titles but are terms used interchangeably. The license needed to drive an HGV or LGV is Class C.

 The confusion may be caused by the wrong use of the term LGV when referring to a light goods vehicle. Light good vehicles weigh no more than 3.5 tonnes, such as vans and pickup. In this case, they don’t need a Class C license to operate, although they may need an enhanced commercial license depending on their weight and cargo.

 The HGV term was first introduced when the road tax laws were changed, and the authorities had to create brackets to separate light goods vehicles from large goods vehicles. Since they are both LGV when shortened, the second category to be replaced to avoid confusion; hence, the use of HGV. The use of the term LGV for large vehicles is winding down; however, so the confusion is hoped to be cleared soon.

 As a result, there is no difference between HGV and LGV. You only need to get a Class C license.

 How to earn a Class C license?

 A Class C license can open up career opportunities to HGV/LGV drivers. However, before you can get it, you must have a full car license first. You should also have good physical health, supported by a medical exam.

 When you have completed the medical paperwork, only then can you apply for a provisional entitlement so you can undergo practical skills training. The application for the provisional entitlement is done with the D2 form. This can be downloaded from the DVLA website here. You also need to pass an HGV/LGV theory test, which should not be that difficult. The exam has 100 questions about general road safety and hazard perception and avoidance.

 Once you passed the theory test and received your provisional entitlement, you can now undergo practical skills training. The training involves classroom activities and behind-the-wheel practice. After the training, you will have to pass a driving skills test at an official facility to get the Class C license.


 HGV and LGV have been used interchangeably, but they refer to the same type of commercial trucks that weigh over 3,500 kg. It creates confusion, particularly to the newcomer in the industry. However, there is no reason for new drivers to be worried about the license, as they only need to get the same type, whether we’re using the HGV or LGV term.

 Passing the medical exam is one of the first steps to becoming an HGV driver, without this you will not be able to attain a Class C provisional licence. Book your HGV medical with Vital Medicals now. We specialize in all forms of driver medicals that are cost-effective, quick, and reliable.



× Click here to WhatsApp us! Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday